This thing was definitely an experiment, and I'm not really certain it was a successful one, either. But not every experiment is, and at least I learned some new things.
For this painting, I went through kind of a crazy process: copied the perspective from an interesting photo, set up the drawing as a sketch in Sketchbook Pro, printed and then traced the final lines in ink onto mylar, created a color guide in Photoshop, then used the guide to paint the other side of the mylar in reverse, the way you do animation cels. So the final product is basically ink and acrylic paint on mylar.
Again, not really certain it was successful...the mylar I chose was really thick and it ended up desaturating a lot of the color out of it, certain colors showed up stronger depending on what I put down first, and of course the super detail of it made some colors wash together. But if nothing else, it was fun trying it and the color guide actually came out well enough to use as a separate piece. I'm getting more and more attached to using acrylics lately...it's just a matter of finding stuff to paint on!
I'll upload just the inks version only to my scraps, since I think the inks look nice by themselves.
And of course, it's more scenes and characters from that Snow Phoenix story that's always running in the background. XD I've slowly been fleshing out that one more.